- Executive Committee Members
- Executive Committee Calendar of Meetings
- Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP)
- CAP Meeting Schedule
- Executive Committee Resources
The L&S Executive Committee is charged with “the general oversight of the welfare and instruction of the students of the College” and serves as the Committee on Educational Policy for the College. In the fulfillment of that broad charge, the committee has a number of areas of oversight including:
- All Senate regulations pertaining to L&S, including registration, graduation requirements for the bachelor’s degree, criteria for honors, and rules governing probation and dismissal.
- The requirements for departmental, group and field major and minor programs, including prerequisites and limitations on programs, and alternative electives. All proposals for changes to majors and minors must be submitted to the committee for approval before publication and before they become effective.
- The academic program consisting of the general requirements of L&S (including Essential Skills and Seven-Course Breadth Distribution Requirement) and approval of the courses of instruction appropriate for fulfillment of these requirements.
All proposals for changes to majors and minors, and new majors and minors, should be submitted to the Executive Committee (EC) for review and approval. Requests for review of courses for Essential Skills and Seven-Course Breadth designation should be submitted to the subcommittee on Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP).
Please see below for EC and CAP meeting schedules and proposal deadlines as well as resources for guidelines and forms required for submission.
The analyst and contact for all inquires regarding the EC and CAP is Khia Brunelle, Coordinator of Educational Policy.
2023-2024 Executive Committee
- Scott Saul (English)
- Abby Dernberg (Molecular and Cell Biology)
- Seth Finnegan (Integrative Biology)
- Mia Fuller (Italian Studies)
- Darya Kavitskaya (Slavic Languages and Literatures)
- Jonah Levy (Political Science)
- David Nadler (Mathematics)
- Leslie Salzinger (Gender and Women's Studies)
- Ethan Shagan (History)
- Nikhil Srivastava (Mathematics)
- Linda Wilbrecht (Psychology)
Jennifer Johnson-Hanks (Executive Dean, College of Letters and Science)
Calendar of Meetings
Executive Committee (EC) meetings are held during the fall and spring semesters. (The committee does not meet in June, July and August.) Proposals are due to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than two weeks before the meeting date. Please note that committee meetings are limited to members and invited guests.
Fall 2023 EC Meeting Schedule
|DEADLINE to Submit Proposal||
EC Meeting Date
Wednesday, August 16
Wednesday, August 30
Wednesday, September 6
Wednesday, September 20
Wednesday, October 4
Wednesday, October 18
Wednesday, November 1
|Wednesday, November 15|
Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP) - L&S Breadth Requests
Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP) is a faculty committee which reviews UC Berkeley course offerings for the Seven-Course Breadth Distribution Requirement.
CAP meetings are held monthly during the fall and spring semesters (the committee does not meet in June, July and August) to review requests. The CAP meeting schedule is updated below prior to each fall and spring term.
Procedures to Request Seven-Course Breadth for a UC Berkeley Course:
- If you are a student who would like torequest breadth for a UC Berkeley course, please contact an undergraduate adviser in the department offering the course for more information.
- If you are a staff member, undergraduate adviser, or faculty member requesting breadth for a course offered by your department, please follow these steps:
1.All courses must be approved by the Academic Senate Committee on Courses of Instruction (COCI) prior to a CAP review. (Effective fall 2013, new courses approved by COCI will no longer automatically be reviewed by CAP for breadth. Departments must submit requests to CAP for review directly and independently of submission to COCI.)
2.Review the Overview of the Seven-Course Breadth Request Form for instructions on how to prepare for your department’s breadth request.
3.Take note of the CAP Meeting Schedule and deadlines (below).
4.Complete the online Breadth Request Form. NOTE: One form must be completed for each course you wish to submit for a breadth review.
There is separate process for reviewing and approving courses to fulfill the Essential Skills Requirements (Foreign Language, Quantitative Reasoning, and Reading and Composition). Please contact the Coordinator of Educational Policy (Khia Brunelle, email@example.com) for more information.
2023 - 2024 CAP Members
- Brandi Catanese (African American Studies and Theater, Dance and Performance Studies)
- Keith Feldman (Ethnic Studies)
- Kevis Goodman (English)
- Myra Melford (Music)
- Estelle Tarica (Spanish and Portuguese)
Fall 2023 CAP Meeting Schedule
|DEADLINE to Submit Breadth Request Form and Syllabus||CAP Meeting Date|
Tuesday, August 29th
|Tuesday, September 5th|
Tuesday, September 26th
|Tuesday, October 3rd|
Tuesday, October 31st
|Tuesday, November 7th|
Tuesday, November 28th
|Tuesday, December 5th|
Executive Committee Resources
College of Letters and Science Bylaws and Regulations
Guidelines for Submitting Proposals to the L&S Executive Committee
Requesting Exceptions to Unit Requirements for Major Programs (BDR 809.A)
Guidelines for Proposals for New Minor Programs
Sample Proposal to the L&S Executive Committee
Guidelines for Course Review for Seven-Course Breadth
Advanced Notice of Pre-requisite Changes to CA Community Colleges