- Executive Committee Members
- Executive Committee Calendar of Meetings
- Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP)
- CAP Meeting Schedule
- Executive Committee Resources
The L&S Executive Committee is charged with “the general oversight of the welfare of the students of the College” and serves as the Committee on Educational Policy for the College. In the fulfillment of that broad charge, the committee has a number of areas of oversight including:
- All Senate regulations pertaining to L&S, including registration, graduation requirements for the bachelor’s degree, criteria for honors, and rules governing probation and dismissal.
- The requirements for departmental, group and field major and minor programs, including prerequisites and limitations on programs, and alternative electives. All proposals for changes to majors and minors must be submitted to the committee for approval before publication and before they become effective.
- The academic program consisting of the general requirements of L&S (including Essential Skills and Seven-Course Breadth Distribution Requirement) and approval of the courses of instruction appropriate for fulfillment of these requirements.
All proposals for changes to majors and minors, and new majors and minors, should be submitted to the Executive Committee (EC) for review and approval. Requests for review of courses for Essential Skills and Seven-Course Breadth designation should be submitted to the subcommittee on Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP).
Please see below for EC and CAP meeting schedules and proposal deadlines as well as resources for guidelines and forms required for submission.
The analyst and contact for all inquires regarding the EC and CAP is Khia Brunelle, Coordinator of Educational Policy.
- Kim Shelton (Ancient Greek and Roman Studies)
- Brian DeLay (History)
- Ivonne del Valle (Spanish and Portuguese)
- Seth Finnegan (Integrative Biology)
- Neil Gilbert (Social Welfare)
- Yoko Hasegawa (East Asian Languages & Culture)
- Darya Kavitskaya (Slavic Languages and Literatures)
- Michel S. Laguerre (African American Studies)
- Jonah Levy (Political Science)
- David Nadler (Mathematics)
- Leslie Salzinger (Gender and Women's Studies)
- Scott Saul (English)
- Linda Wilbrecht (Psychology)
Jennifer Johnson-Hanks (Executive Dean, College of Letters and Science)
Executive Committee (EC) meetings are held during the fall and spring semesters. (The committee does not meet in June, July and August.) Proposals are due to email@example.com no later than two weeks before the meeting date. Please note that committee meetings are limited to members and invited guests.
Fall 2021 EC Meeting Schedule
EC Meeting Date
Deadline to Submit Proposal
Wednesday, September 15th
Friday, September 3rd
Wednesday, October 13th
Friday, October 1st
Wednesday, November 17th
Friday, November 5th
Wednesday, December 8th
|Friday, November 26th|
Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP) is a faculty committee which reviews UC Berkeley course offerings for the Seven-Course Breadth Distribution Requirement.
CAP meetings are held monthly during the fall and spring semesters (the committee does not meet in June, July and August) to review requests. The CAP meeting schedule is updated below prior to each fall and spring term.
Procedures to Request Seven-Course Breadth for a UC Berkeley Course
If you are a student who would like to request breadth for a UC Berkeley course, please contact an undergraduate adviser in the department offering the course for more information.
If you are a staff member, undergraduate adviser, or faculty member requesting breadth for a course offered by your department, please follow these steps:
1. All courses must be approved by the Academic Senate Committee on Courses of Instruction (COCI) prior to a CAP review. (Effective fall 2013, new courses approved by COCI will no longer automatically be reviewed by CAP for breadth. Departments must submit requests to CAP for review directly and independently of submission to COCI.)
2. Review the Overview of the Seven-Course Breadth Request Form for instructions on how to prepare for your department’s breadth request.
3. Take note of the CAP Meeting Schedule and deadlines (below).
4. Complete the (new) online Breadth Request Form. NOTE: One form must be completed for each course you wish to submit for a breadth review.
A separate process is in place for requests for consideration of courses to fulfill the Essential Skills Requirements (Foreign Language, Quantitative Reasoning, and Reading and Composition). Please contact the Coordinator of Educational Policy (Khia Brunelle, firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
|Meeting Date||Deadline to Submit Breadth Request Form and Syllabus|
Tuesday, August 31st
|Tuesday, August 24th|
Tuesday, September 28th
|Tuesday, September 21st|
Tuesday, November 2nd
|Tuesday, October 26th|
Tuesday, December 7th
|Tuesday, November 30th|