- Executive Committee Members
- Executive Committee Calendar of Meetings
- Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP)
- CAP Meeting Schedule
- Executive Committee Resources
The L&S Executive Committee is charged with “the general oversight of the welfare and instruction of the students of the College” and serves as the Committee on Educational Policy for the College. In the fulfillment of that broad charge, the committee has a number of areas of oversight including:
- All Senate regulations pertaining to L&S, including registration, graduation requirements for the bachelor’s degree, criteria for honors, and rules governing probation and dismissal.
- The requirements for departmental, group and field major and minor programs, including prerequisites and limitations on programs, and alternative electives. All proposals for changes to majors and minors must be submitted to the committee for approval before publication and before they become effective.
- The academic program consisting of the general requirements of L&S (including Essential Skills and Seven-Course Breadth Distribution Requirement) and approval of the courses of instruction appropriate for fulfillment of these requirements.
All proposals for changes to majors and minors, and new majors and minors, should be submitted to the Executive Committee (EC) for review and approval. Requests for review of courses for Essential Skills and Seven-Course Breadth designation should be submitted to the subcommittee on Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP).
Please see below for EC and CAP meeting schedules and proposal deadlines as well as resources for guidelines and forms required for submission.
The analyst and contact for all inquires regarding the EC and CAP is Khia Brunelle, Coordinator of Educational Policy.
- Scott Saul (English)
- Brian DeLay (History)
- Seth Finnegan (Integrative Biology)
- Mia Fuller (Italian Studies)
- Darya Kavitskaya (Slavic Languages and Literatures)
- Jonah Levy (Political Science)
- David Nadler (Mathematics)
- Jasper Rine (Molecular Cell Biology)
- Leslie Salzinger (Gender and Women's Studies)
- Nikhil Srivastava (Mathematics)
- Linda Wilbrecht (Psychology) -- sabbatical spring 2023
Jennifer Johnson-Hanks (Executive Dean, College of Letters and Science)
Executive Committee (EC) meetings are held during the fall and spring semesters. (The committee does not meet in June, July and August.) Proposals are due to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than two weeks before the meeting date. Please note that committee meetings are limited to members and invited guests.
Spring 2023 EC Meeting Schedule
|DEADLINE to Submit Proposal||
EC Meeting Date
Wednesday, January 11
Wednesday, January 25
Wednesday, February 8
Wednesday, February 22
Wednesday, March 8
Wednesday, March 22
Wednesday, April 12
|Wednesday, April 26|
Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP) is a faculty committee which reviews UC Berkeley course offerings for the Seven-Course Breadth Distribution Requirement.
CAP meetings are held monthly during the fall and spring semesters (the committee does not meet in June, July and August) to review requests. The CAP meeting schedule is updated below prior to each fall and spring term.
Procedures to Request Seven-Course Breadth for a UC Berkeley Course:
- If you are a student who would like torequest breadth for a UC Berkeley course, please contact an undergraduate adviser in the department offering the course for more information.
- If you are a staff member, undergraduate adviser, or faculty member requesting breadth for a course offered by your department, please follow these steps:
1.All courses must be approved by the Academic Senate Committee on Courses of Instruction (COCI) prior to a CAP review. (Effective fall 2013, new courses approved by COCI will no longer automatically be reviewed by CAP for breadth. Departments must submit requests to CAP for review directly and independently of submission to COCI.)
2.Review the Overview of the Seven-Course Breadth Request Form for instructions on how to prepare for your department’s breadth request.
3.Take note of the CAP Meeting Schedule and deadlines (below).
4.Complete the online Breadth Request Form. NOTE: One form must be completed for each course you wish to submit for a breadth review.
There is separate process for reviewing and approving courses to fulfill the Essential Skills Requirements (Foreign Language, Quantitative Reasoning, and Reading and Composition). Please contact the Coordinator of Educational Policy (Khia Brunelle, email@example.com) for more information.
- Yury Kolomensky (Physics)
- Myra Melford (Music)
- Per-Olof Persson (Mathematics)
- Estelle Tarica (Spanish and Portuguese)
|DEADLINE to Submit Breadth Request Form and Syllabus||CAP Meeting Date|
Wednesday, January 11th
|Wednesday, January 18th|
Wednesday, February 8th
|Wednesday, February 15th|
Wednesday, March 8th
|Wednesday, March 15th|
Wednesday, April 12th
|Wednesday, April 19th|