- Executive Committee Members
- Executive Committee Calendar of Meetings
- Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP)
- CAP Meeting Schedule
- Executive Comittee Resources
The L&S Executive Committee is charged with “the general oversight of the welfare of the students of the College” and serves as the Committee on Educational Policy for the College. In the fulfillment of that broad charge, the committee has a number of areas of oversight including:
- All Senate regulations pertaining to L&S, including registration, graduation requirements for the bachelor’s degree, criteria for honors, and rules governing probation and dismissal.
- The requirements for departmental, group and field major and minor programs, including prerequisites and limitations on programs, and alternative electives. All proposals for changes to majors and minors must be submitted to the committee for approval before publication and before they become effective.
- The academic program consisting of the general requirements of L&S (including Essential Skills and Seven-Course Breadth Distribution Requirement) and approval of the courses of instruction appropriate for fulfillment of these requirements.
All proposals for changes to majors and minors, and new majors and minors, should be submitted to the Executive Committee (EC) for review and approval. Requests for review of courses for Essential Skills and Seven-Course Breadth designation should be submitted to the subcommittee on Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP). Please see below for EC and CAP meeting schedules and proposal deadlines as well as resources for guidelines and forms required for submission.
The analyst and contact for all inquires regarding the EC and CAP is Khia Brunelle, Coordinator of Educational Policy: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scott Saul (English)
Stanley Brandes (Anthropology)
Neil Gilbert (Social Welfare)
Luba Golburt (Slavic Languages and Literature)
Yoko Hasegawa (East Asian Languages & Culture)
- David Hult (French)
Michel S. Laguerre (African American Studies)
- David Nadler (Mathematics)
- Kim Shelton (Classics)
- Linda Wilbrecht (Psychology)
Janet Broughton (Executive Dean, College of Letters and Science)
Bob Jacobsen (Dean of Undergraduate Studies, College of Letters and Science)
Executive Committee (EC) meetings are held during the fall and spring semesters. (The committee does not meet in June, July and August.) Proposals are due to email@example.com no later than two weeks before the meeting date. Please note that committee meetings are limited to members and invited guests.
Fall 2019 EC Meeting Schedule
|Meeting Date||Proposals Due|
|Wednesday, September 25th||Wednesday, September 11th|
|Wednesday, October 30th||Wednesday, October 16th|
Wednesday, December 11th
|Wednesday, November 27th|
Courses of Instruction and Academic Programs (CAP) meetings are held monthly during the fall and spring semesters (the committee does not meet in June, July and August) to review requests for courses to fulfill the Seven-Course Breadth Distribution Requirement. A Breadth Request Form (see Resources section on this page) and syllabus for each course must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than due dates noted below. Please note: all courses must be approved by the Academic Senate Committee on Courses of Instruction (COCI) prior to CAP review. Effective fall 2013, new courses approved by COCI will no longer automatically be reviewed by CAP for breadth. Departments must submit requests to CAP for review directly and independently of submission to COCI.
A separate process is in place for requests for consideration of courses to fulfill the Essential Skills Requirements (Foreign Language, Quantitative Reasoning, and Reading and Composition). Please contact the Coordinator of Educational Policy (Khia Brunelle, email@example.com) for more information.
|Meeting Date||Breadth Request Form and Syllabus Due|
|Thursday, September 5th||Tuesday, August 27th|
|Thursday, October 3rd||Tuesday, September 24th|
|Thursday, November 14th||Thursday, October 31st|
|Thursday, December 5th||Thursday, November 21st|