The 15 departments and programs that comprise the Social Sciences Division are each among the most distinguished in the nation.
The transformational work done by the award-winning faculty and students of departments illuminates the tectonic changes in the global economy, climate, technology, and governance which we inhabit today. In addition, we pursue questions of the long durée: how do we create the good society? How is language acquired?
The Social Science division is the largest within the university, with 20 percent of the faculty and 25 percent of student enrollments. It is also the most diverse, which encourages the offering of a wide range of theoretical approaches and empirical methodologies for understanding the ways in which human beings, past and present, have organized their lives. This diversity offers scholars and students an unparalleled opportunity to range far and wide in their search for solutions to individual, social, and global problems.
The latest from Social Sciences
News in the Social Sciences Division
UC Berkeley undergraduate Jonathan Kuo was recently named as a 2022 recipient of the Marshall Scholarship. Created after World War II by...Read more about A Conversation with Marshall Scholar Jonathan Kuo
Michigan State University economist and professor Lisa D. Cook today was nominated by President Joe Biden to the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. If confirmed, Cook will be the first Black woman to serve on the board in its 108-year history. Professor Cook is an economist...Read more about Berkeley Economics alum nominated as a governor of the Federal Reserve System
Dear Campus Community,
I am pleased to announce that Benjamin E. Hermalin has been chosen to serve as our next executive vice chancellor and provost following a competitive...Read more about Benjamin Hermalin chosen as next Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
- 1 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division (Current page)
- 2 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 3 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 4 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 5 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 6 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 7 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 8 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 9 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- next › News in the Social Sciences Division
- last » News in the Social Sciences Division