LS Advising

Double Majors and Simultaneous Degrees

Students in L&S who wish to pursue more than one major may apply for a double major or simultaneous degrees. A double major program consists of two L&S majors resulting in a Bachelor of Arts degree with two majors, with one diploma issued. Simultaneous degree programs consist of a major in L&S and another from a different school or college on the campus.

What To Do on Probation

1) Meet with an L&S College Adviser and keep in touch all semester long. Schedule an appointment to meet a College Adviser at anytime.

2) Take care of yourself. Don't forget to eat right and to get enough sleep. If you are feeling very stressed out by probation or by anything else, please contact the Tang Center counselors at (510) 642-9494.

Prospective & Continuing Undergraduate Students

Academic Programs

Visit the Arts & Humanities undergraduate website to learn more about the majors, minors and other academic offerings for undergraduates. There is also information about undergraduate research and career preparation for Arts & Humanities majors.

Academic Advising

Erin Warren

Joined the L&S Office of Undergraduate Advising in:
November 2017

B.A. in Communication Studies from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (2015)

About me:
I'm a Los Angeles native, lived in sunny San Luis Obispo during my undergrad career, but have called the Bay Area home for the past two years. I absolutely love travelling (just visited Iceland as country #20!), hiking, camping trips, going to concerts, listening to podcasts, and drinking good coffee with loved ones.

Transfers at Berkeley

Transfer students come to Berkeley well-prepared for what lies ahead. They understand the importance of time management, planning, communicating with professors, and effective study strategies. However, even with such excellent preparation, Berkeley does have a few surprising differences in store for new transfer students.

Four Year Planner

Freshman Year - 0 to 29 units

  • Complete Golden Bear Advising.
  • Familiarize yourself with campus resources and L&S advising resources.
  • Explore possible majors – Use the Berkeley Academic Guide to learn about various majors, identify prerequisite courses, and review course descriptions. Visit department websites and your potential undergraduate major adviser (UMA).

Declaring a Major

Ideally students should declare a major by the conclusion of their fourth term, excluding summers. Transfer students should declare a major by the end of their first term.

Courses with Unit Limits

Limits on credit toward the 120 units minimum required for graduation have been set for certain types of courses.

Special Studies Courses

  • No more than 16 units in courses numbered 97, 98, 99, 197, 198, or 199 may be applied to the degree.
  • Prior to fall 2016, no more than 4 units from courses numbered 97, 98, 99, 198 or 199 may be taken in any one semester.

Physical Education Activities Courses

No more than 4 units may be applied to the degree.

Emilio Alvarado

College Adviser

Joined the L&S Office of Undergraduate Advising in:
November 2017

What is your approach to advising?
While my main role is to advise on degree requirements, I am also excited to speak with you about topics outside of academics - such as your personal growth and development during your time at Cal. As your adviser, my intent is to provide you with the support and guidance you need to graduate and make sure you feel heard while you work toward achieving your goals both inside and outside the classroom.

Heidi Church

College Adviser

Joined the L&S Office of Undergraduate Advising in:
November 2017

B.S. in Recreation Administration, CSU, Chico, 2010
Ed.M. in Technology, Innovation, and Education, Harvard Graduate School of Education, 2017