LS Advising

Transfer Coursework

General Guidelines

In many cases, it is possible to satisfy unit or course curriculum requirements with course work from other educational institutions. Be sure to check with the office responsible for the requirement to seek transfer credit approval before enrolling elsewhere. Additional general information on transfer credit is available on the Office of the Registrar website. 

Foreign Language

Satisfying Foreign Language with High School Coursework or Exam


Minimum Grade/Score Required to Satisfy Foreign Language

Completion of high school foreign language (other than English) through the third year of instruction Letter grade of C- or higher
SAT Subject Test, language other than English 590

Advanced Placement Exam in World Languages and Cultures:
   Chinese Language and Culture


Students who do not meet the terms of academic probation may be dismissed from the College. This is not necessarily the end of a student's academic career at UC Berkeley. Many strong students have been dismissed and have been able to return and graduate from Berkeley. In order to resume studies at Berkeley, students will need to be readmitted by the Deans' Conference.

Shannon Long

Joined the L&S Office of Undergraduate Advising in April 2019


Graduate Certificate in Academic Advising, Kansas State University, 2019

M.A. Social Sciences, California State University, San Bernardino, 2015

Outstanding Graduate Student, College of Social & Behavioral Sciences

Certificate in Museum Studies, California State University, San Bernardino, 2015

Single Subject Teaching Credential, California State University, San Bernardino, 2010

B.A. History, California State University, San Bernardino, 2008 

New Spring 2019 Newsletter Out Now!

April 9, 2019

The Letters & Science Advising Office now has a Newsletter! The most recent edition of the newsletter can be linked to on the picture below.

Also, check out archived newletters:

Forms and Petitions - L&S Undergraduate Advising

Forms are in PDF format and may be downloaded to your computer for reviewing and printing. You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader or another PDF viewer installed.

Jessie Rosales

Joined the L&S Office of Undergraduate Advising in March 2019


M.Ed., Student Affairs, UCLA, 2014

B.A., Psychology, UC San Diego, 2013

B.A., Human Development (with distinction), UC San Diego, 2013

What is your approach to advising?


How to Plan Ahead for your EGT

Before you enroll in classes at Berkeley for your EGT semester, it is essential that you check to make sure that classes you have chosen will satisfy any remaining degree requirements.

Transfer Student FAQs

What is the College of Letters & Science?
The College of Letters & Science (L&S) is UC Berkeley’s liberal arts college and is the largest of the university’s schools and colleges. It is also known as "the College".  L&S offers over 80 majors in Arts & Humanities, Biological Science, Physical Science, Social Science, and Interdisciplinary Studies. Earning a degree in the liberal arts provides you with a rich and varied educational experience and allows you to explore fields of knowledge beyond your major.

Academic Probation

Academic probation is a serious matter. Students who do not clear academic probation by the end of the next semester (fall or spring) of enrollment will be subject to dismissal by the College of Letters & Science. It is very important for students to meet with a College Adviser to understand their academic status and make sure they are aware of the steps they should take to return to good academic standing.