Reminder: Apply for Concurrent Enrollment BEFORE enrolling in an outside course

September 25, 2019

What is Concurrent Enrollment?

Concurrent Enrollment is when students plan to enroll in a course(s) at another institution while they are also enrolled in a regular (Fall or Spring) semester at UC Berkeley. 

Students must have approval from L&S Advising for Concurrent Enrollment in order to receive credit for the course(s) that will be transferred from another school. If Concurrent Enrollment is approved, the transfer credit will be applied to a student's undergraduate degree. If a student does not receive Concurrent Enrollment approval, the transfer credit will not be applied to their undergraduate degree. Students must apply for Concurrent Enrollment approval each semester they plan to take courses at another institution while enrolled in a regular term at UC Berkeley.

It is the student's responsibility to confirm that the coursework they are taking is transferable and applies to a particular degree requirement. See the Transfer Coursework page for more information about transferable coursework.

Am I eligible for Concurrent Enrollment?

The Concurrent Enrollment form lists all criteria for being eligible. Students who meet all conditions are automatically approved once they have submitted the form. Students who do not meet all criteria will need to appeal and may not be approved to take coursework elsewhere. It is therefore important to review criteria early and, if you do not meet all criteria, discuss your options with an L&S Adviser

What's changing about the policy?

The criteria to be eligible for Concurrent Enrollment are not changing. However, starting Fall 2019, the College of Letters and Science is required to enforce the criterium that the Concurrent Enrollment form must be submitted prior to enrolling in a course at another institution. In the past, students may not have experienced strict enforcement of this particular requirement. Fall 2019 will act as a grace period where students will be allowed to submit late concurrent enrollment (after enrolling in a course at another institution) as one last exception, but beginning Spring 2020, late concurrent enrollment requests will not be approved

How do I apply for Concurrent Enrollment?

Submit the Concurrent Enrollment form to 206 Evans or 156 Dwinelle. If you haven't met any of the criteria listed on the form, you will need to write a written statement addressing why you believe you should be permitted to concurrently enroll at another institution. If you need guidance, contact L&S Advising