The 15 departments and programs that comprise the Social Sciences Division are each among the most distinguished in the nation.
The transformational work done by the award-winning faculty and students of departments illuminates the tectonic changes in the global economy, climate, technology, and governance which we inhabit today. In addition, we pursue questions of the long durée: how do we create the good society? How is language acquired?
The Social Science division is the largest within the university, with 20 percent of the faculty and 25 percent of student enrollments. It is also the most diverse, which encourages the offering of a wide range of theoretical approaches and empirical methodologies for understanding the ways in which human beings, past and present, have organized their lives. This diversity offers scholars and students an unparalleled opportunity to range far and wide in their search for solutions to individual, social, and global problems.
The latest from Social Sciences
News in the Social Sciences Division
Five new faculty members at UC Berkeley this fall hail from disparate U.S. states, academic disciplines and personal backgrounds. But they’re already forming a team partnered around one critical global issue — climate equity and environmental justice — as part of six interdisciplinary...Read more about New faculty, hired in clusters, to address global issues, equity, justice
A new Youtube video by Econimate asks whether food labels can help combat obesity.
The video is based on new research by Berkeley Economics professor Nano Barahona and Ph.D. student Cristóbal Otero, Sebastián Otero (Stanford), and Joshua Kim, on the equilibrium effects...Read more about Can Food Labels Help Combat Obesity? New research from Berkeley Economics
Leon Litwack, a legendary American historian who influenced generations of students with his energizing teaching and lectures, passed away on Aug. 5. He was 91.
A world-renowned scholar in U.S. history, Litwack was a staunchly beloved figure at UC Berkeley. The Alexander F. and May T....Read more about Leon Litwack, Pulitzer Prize-winning historian, dies at 91
- « first News in the Social Sciences Division
- ‹ previous News in the Social Sciences Division
- 5 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 6 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 7 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 8 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 9 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division (Current page)
- 10 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 11 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 12 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 13 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- next › News in the Social Sciences Division
- last » News in the Social Sciences Division