The 15 departments and programs that comprise the Social Sciences Division are each among the most distinguished in the nation.
The transformational work done by the award-winning faculty and students of departments illuminates the tectonic changes in the global economy, climate, technology, and governance which we inhabit today. In addition, we pursue questions of the long durée: how do we create the good society? How is language acquired?
The Social Science division is the largest within the university, with 20 percent of the faculty and 25 percent of student enrollments. It is also the most diverse, which encourages the offering of a wide range of theoretical approaches and empirical methodologies for understanding the ways in which human beings, past and present, have organized their lives. This diversity offers scholars and students an unparalleled opportunity to range far and wide in their search for solutions to individual, social, and global problems.
The latest from Social Sciences
News in the Social Sciences Division
UC Berkeley economist Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas was named the chief economist of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), one of the most prestigious and influential positions in the sphere of global economics.
Nearly four decades after UC Berkeley alumnus Steven Sidener, Class of 1982, earned his economics degree, his legacy will carry on to impact generations of Berkeley graduate students. Sidener passed away in August 2020 at the age of 62, just 8 days shy of his 63rd birthday. Shortly after,...Read more about Economics alumnus Steven Sidener supports graduates with .5M estate gift
The graduating class of 2021 shared a single emotion: preservation. Being able to survive the most recent years strengthened the class and created a sense of connection and family between its members.
During Saturday’s commencement, the host, campus Associate Dean of Students Alfred Day,...Read more about UC Berkeley commencement for class of 2021 speaks on preservation
- « first News in the Social Sciences Division
- ‹ previous News in the Social Sciences Division
- 1 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 2 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division (Current page)
- 3 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 4 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 5 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 6 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 7 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 8 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- 9 of 23 News in the Social Sciences Division
- next › News in the Social Sciences Division
- last » News in the Social Sciences Division