Human Resources Support
Human Resources support is available from the Deans' Office in all areas of staff personnel matters. If you have any questions related to policies, union contracts, performance management, job descriptions, classification levels, salary, training, reorganization, reduction in force, etc., please contact the Human Resources Manager, Nick Dear, ext. 3-2695.
Frequently Asked Questions by Administrators
- Hiring of Temporary Employees (Limited Appointments): Departments are delegated the authority to appoint temporary employees for up to four months. Prior to appointing a temporary employee in a new position, the position description must be reviewed and classified by the campus HR department. See the Office of Human Resources' Temporary & Student Employment Options for more information.
- Reclassification Requests: All completed reclassification requests must be received by the Deans' Office by the end of the month in order to be effective the 1st of the following month. Reclassification requests should include the new signed job description, the previous description, an organizational chart, the funding source that will be used to pay for the reclassification, and either a supervisor's check-sheet or a memo outlining the reason for the reclassification request. The Deans' Office will review the request and contact departments if additional information or clarification is necessary prior to forwarding it to Campus Human Resources for review. See the Guide to Managing Human Resources, Chapter 3, for additional information on reclassifications.
Campus Human Resources and Payroll Resources Websites
Information about Lecturer Appointments
- Undergraduate GSI Appointments: Procedures for the appointment of undergraduate GSIs in the College of Letters & Science.
- Postdoctoral Appointments: Summary of university, campus, and L&S policies and procedures.
Financial Administration: Useful Tools for Administrators
- Exceptions to Policy. This is a list of transactions in L&S that require the approval of the Deans' Office, such as entertainment, memberships, non-cash awards, honoraria, travel, and chair reimbursement.
- Obtaining Access and Authorization to Campus Systems and Functions. This section includes information for obtaining access to various campus-wide resources, such as CalNet and CalAgenda, HR & payroll systems, finance and administrative systems (including travel and Blu-card), a variety of student databases, and facilities and equipment systems.The Letters & Science deans can contribute to expenses related to the recruitment of permanent faculty.
- The Funding of Faculty Recruitment Expense for Departments in the College of Letters & Science document explains how to utilize these resources.
More Helpful Links
Internal Audit: Learn about audit planning and process, types of audits, and controls evaluation, as well as other helpful resources for department management.
Business & Financial Services: See information on policies and procedures, fiscal closing, financial reports, training and recharges, as well as links to the Cashier's Office, Extramural Funds, Payroll, General Accounting, Loans and Receivables, Risk Management, Disbursements and the Travel Office.
Sponsored Projects Office: Includes information on sponsored project management, publications, policy analysis, data management and funding opportunities for projects funded by Federal and State agencies, foundations, corporations, and other public and private sources.
Office of Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance: Provides information and analyses on academic programs, the Academic Planning Board, Cal Profiles, institutional data, indirect costs, and space management and capital programs.
Berkeley Administrative Initiatives: Links to the Berkeley Financial System (B. F. S.) and the Human Resources Management System (H. R. M. S.). News and announcements, information on specific process changes, calendar of critical implementation dates, performance benchmarks, training and resources for assistance with the conversion processes.
UC Accounting Manual: For those accounting transactions, procedures, and reports that should be uniform throughout the university.
UC Business and Finance Bulletins: Bulletins from the Office of the President, from art insurance to water pollution.