Newly admitted students: Check out our Newly Admitted Students page for resources.
Advising Services During Remote Learning Period
In adherence with campus directives, L&S Advising will postpone in-person advising and instead offer virtual services until further notice. We continue to be committed to serving our L&S undergraduates during this time. Our offices will operate remotely for the time being. Please note that our main phone line will not be operational during this time.
The drop down topics below will help you navigate how to best get support for common questions and concerns during this remote learning period.
Quick Support / Petitions
Unapproved Course Schedule Hold - Late Approval
Unapproved Course Schedule holds are placed if you have enrolled in two semesters under the 13 unit load minimum for L&S without Reduced Course Load (RCL) approval.
If you received approval for a RCL in Spring 2020 but it was processed after the fourth week of instruction, you are eligible to have your hold lifted. Email email@example.com with your SID and your request to have your hold lifted because of RCL approval.
If you have an Unapproved Course Schedule hold and do not have RCLs approved, please make an appointment with an L&S College Adviser in order to lift this hold.
Our Tools and Forms page can help you locate our petitions and forms. If you have questions about which form fits your situation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or ask through our Virtual Front Desk.
To submit a petition, please email your petition to email@example.com.
Acceptable Submissions (Choose ONE):
- Preferred: PDF. Most app stores in smart phones will have free scanning apps that can convert photos of forms into pdfs if needed.
- JPG or PNG photo
If your petition requires signatures (aside from your own), please contact the appropriate department to review your options.
Clarification of Policies or Procedures
Move Expected Graduation Term (EGT)
To request that your Expected Graduation Term (EGT) be moved to an earlier term or to a summer term, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to request your EGT be moved to a future Fall or Spring semester and you will exceed the unit ceiling (or are unsure if you will exceed the unit ceiling), make an appointment with an L&S Adviser to discuss your options.
Pease use the following guidelines to submit your Readmission Packet (found at the bottom of our Readmission page):
- Students without an EOP fee waiver: until further notice, please email email@example.com to discuss updates to options for submitting your readmission application.
- Students with an EOP fee waiver: email a pdf of your readmission application and EOP fee wavier to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Readmission after Dismissal: make an appointment with an L&S College Adviser.
L&S Advising Appointment
Reading & Composition Hold
Make an appointment with an L&S College Adviser.
For support with planning classes for a major or minor, whether for next semester or creating a long-term program plan, review the major/minor department website, then contact major/minor advising for additional support.
To discuss general semester schedule planning, such as load and balance, make an appointment with an L&S College Adviser.
- To look over a major/minor long term program plan and discuss how it meets degree requirements or to discuss feasiblity, make an appointment with an L&S College Adviser.
If you are worried or unsure about your major direction, especially if you are entering your third year or are a transfer student, make an appointment with an L&S College Adviser.
- To check your progress toward major or minor requirements, contact the Major Adviser in your major/minor department.
- To check your progress toward all other degree requirements, start with reviewing your Academic Progress Report (APR ). Your APR is used to clear students for graduation for all degree requirements other than major and minor requirements, so it is your best tool to understand your progress. For more information on how to review your APR, watch this video.
- Find something in your APR that doesn’t seem right (outside the major section)? Make an appointment with an L&S College Adviser.
- Ready to graduate soon? View our popular Graduation Webinar to make sure you’re prepared to get your degree.
Concerns About Grades / Academic Probation
Make an appointment with an L&S adviser to discuss your options for the courses you’re concerned with and to discuss potential impacts to your academic standing.
Exploring or Re-Evaluating Major Options
Make an appointment with an L&S College Adviser to evaluate interests, navigate a major search, and understand options about your time at UC Berkeley for making a change or taking on secondary majors or minors.
- Contact the Major Adviser for your intended major to outline a course plan or to clarify requirements for declaration.
Premed / Pre-Health Advising
Make an appointment with Greg Cera or Brenaia Blue, the L&S College Advisers who specialize in Premed/Pre-Health advising (choose their names in the appointment system to look for available times rather than selecting "no preference"). They can discuss your academic plans or decision-making while taking your premed or pre-health goals into account.
Join in Remote Open Group Q&A
Each Wednesday from 4-5pm (PST), a premed/pre-health adviser will be available virtually to answer premed/pre-health questions. This is not a one-on-one appointment, but is a space for students to pop in ask questions or hear other questions from premed/pre-health students.
Join at any time during the 4-5pm hour on Wednesdays by clicking: https://meet.google.com/koz-wrmo-pps.
To join by phone from the U.S., dial +1 385-404-0755 and enter this PIN: 722 378#
To join by phone from another country, find the appropriate phone number here: https://meet.google.com/tel/koz-wrmo-pps?hs=5
Complex Academic Issues
Make an appointment with an L&S College Adviser to discuss any complex academic situations. Please remember that questions regarding Financial Aid, Visas, Enrollment Issues, or any other issues outside of academic policy and advice, will not be able to be answered by an L&S Academic Adviser.
Other Campus Resource
Undeclared at 75 Hold
- Contact the Major Adviser for your intended major (review the website for your intended major for information on how to contact an adviser during the Remote Learning Period). The Major Adviser for your intended major may choose to lift your hold or, instead, fill out a Conditions to Declare packet.
- If the Major Adviser for your intended major adviser does not lift your hold, make an appointment with an L&S College Adviser and be prepared to email your Conditions to Declare packet to the adviser before or during your appointment.
Any questions about how decisions will impact your financial aid, or clarification about your financial aid package, should be directed to the Financial Aid office through Cal Student Central.
Contact the Major/Minor Adviser for any questions that are specific to your major or minor. We recommend first reviewing the website for the major or minor to see if your question is answered there and to understand how to best contact the Major/Minor Advisers during the Remote Learning Period.
While L&S College Advisers have some knowledge of major/minor requirements, this knowledge is limited and will not be sufficient for in depth questions.
- Technical questions: the Student Information Systems Enrollment FAQ guide covers navigating prerequisites, course permissions, basic waitlist information, swaps, unit limits, reserved seats, time conflicts and enrollment errors.
- Course-specific information: if your questions are specific to a course (i.e. "Will more seats be added?" or "Can I be considered for one of the reserved seats?"), contact the department that hosts the course.
The L&S Advising Office does not have any power to put students into courses.
Study Strategies / Time Management for Remote Learning
Make a virtual appointment with an L&S Mentor for support in time management or study strategy support in the remote learning environment. L&S Mentors can also discuss a variety of topics, including:
- Adjusting to campus life
- Wellness and work
- Choosing a major or career path
- Making the most out of your major
- And more
Especially during this unusual time, you may need support with basic needs. The UC Berkeley Basic Needs Center has created this living document with updates about support.