In many cases, it is possible to satisfy unit or course curriculum requirements with course work from other campuses. Be sure to check with the office responsible for the requirement to seek transfer credit approval before enrolling elsewhere. Additional general information on transfer credit is available on the Office of the Registrar website.
To learn more about transfer credit completed prior to enrollment for the first (admission) semester at Berkeley, review the 'Initial Transfer Credit Review' section below. For more information on pursuing transfer credit after completing course work at Berkeley, see 'Transfer Credit for Continuing Students.' Finally, upon completing a transfer course, the 'After Completion of Transfer Work' section provides instructions on submitting a transcript.
Note: Graduating seniors who are enrolling elsewhere, review Graduation for instructions.
- For transfer course work from UC Extension (XB or XBW courses) and other UC campuses, both units and grade points are posted to the Berkeley transcript. For approved transfer course work from all other campuses, only the unit credit is posted to the transcript.
- Students will not receive transfer unit credit for a course with comparable content to a Berkeley course that has already been completed with a passing (i.e. D- or higher) grade.
- Transfer credit cannot be applied to the Senior Residence requirement.
- Concurrent Enrollment - Students who plan to take a course at another institution while enrolled in a regular semester at Berkeley must obtain permission from an L&S Adviser for Concurrent Enrollment prior to enrolling in the off-campus course (does not apply to Berkeley Summer Sessions). L&S Concurrent Enrollment at another institution should not be confused with the UC Berkeley Extension Concurrent Enrollment program
- The Office of the Registrar manages Visitor and Exchange Programs such as Cross Registration Agreements, the Intersegmental Cross-Enrollment program and the Simultaneous Enrollment Program. You may direct your questions to the Office of the Registrar.
The remaining information on this webpage addresses use of transfer credit for College of Letters and Science requirements. For university, campus, and major requirements, please review these links:
- American History and Institutions Requirement
- Berkeley Campus American Cultures Requirement
- Major Requirements – Review ASSIST to find approved courses for major requirements from California community colleges. For all other transfer courses, check with your undergraduate major adviser (UMA) and with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Initial Transfer Credit Review
All exam (e.g. AP, IB) credit and transfer course work submitted by freshmen and transfer students prior to their arrival to Berkeley is reviewed by the Central Evaluation Unit as part of the initial transfer credit review. This review is generally completed by the 5th week of instruction of the admission term for those students with exam credit or transfer course work from a California Community College. Students with transfer course work from a non-California Community College should allow for a few more weeks of review. All review results are posted in the Academic Progress Report.
Transfer Credit for Continuing Students
For College of Letters and Science requirements, students who have completed course work at Berkeley may pursue transfer course work at a California Community College, or another accredited higher education institution with the following conditions:
- Transfer courses submitted in satisfaction of the Reading and Composition, Foreign Language, or Quantitative Reasoning requirements must be completed with a letter grade and this grade must be indicated on the official transcript issued by the transfer campus.
- For Seven-Course Breadth, to be eligible for consideration, the minimum unit requirement for a course offered from a campus on the semester system is 3.0 units, and for courses offered from campuses on the quarter system, 4.0 units.
- Continuing Berkeley students who have satisfied Entry Level Writing may pursue a pre-approved course for Reading & Composition (R&C) at a California Community College during the summer, or while not enrolled at Berkeley during a fall or spring term. To identify pre-approved courses for R&C Part A or Part B, use ASSIST(link is external). Transfer courses must be completed with a C- or higher.
- No more than 70 units of lower division course work may be applied toward the 120-unit graduation requirement. However, it is still possible to fulfill curricular requirements with lower division work in excess of the unit limit.
Pursuing transfer courses at a California Community College
To search for equivalent courses to the Essential Skills and Seven-Course Breadth requirements, go to ASSIST, select the California Community College of interest, then UC Berkeley, and then ‘General Education' from the 'For General Education/Breadth' menu.
Pursuing transfer courses at another Higher Education Institution
Students wishing to pursue transfer courses outside of the California Community College system (i.e. at another 2-year or 4-year campus in the U.S. or non-UCEAP courses from abroad*) to satisfy Essential Skills or Seven-Course Breadth, must submit syllabi for review and approval. This may be done prior to, or after completing transfer course work. However, it is advisable to seek pre-approval before enrolling elsewhere.
To request a review:
Attach the syllabus (syllabi) to an email with the subject line ‘Request for Transfer Credit Review and send to LnSTransferCreditReview@berkeley.edu. Be sure to include the following information:
- First and last name
- Expected Graduation Term (posted on the left-hand side of the Cal Central Dashboard)
All syllabi must be dated within a year of the term a student intends to complete the course. For example, if a student plans to enroll in a transfer course for summer 2018, the syllabus must be dated for that term, or no earlier than summer 2017.
Please allow up to 4 weeks to receive a response from the Transfer Credit Review Committee upon receipt of all required information; failure to provide all required information will delay the review of your request.
* UCEAP Course Options for Breadth
UCEAP courses may be evaluated to fulfill Seven-Course Breadth. To request review of propsective coures in advance of enrolling in a program, please click the 'Evaluation of breadth courses' link on the Berkeley Study Abroad college advising page.
This same link also lists previously approved UCEAP courses by country and program.
After Completion of Transfer Work
Upon completion of the course/s needed, you must order an official transcript from the school you attended (once you verify relevant grades are posted). Be sure transcripts are sent to UC Berkeley in one of the two following manners:
If the school where you completed your requirement offers electronic transcripts, then choose that option! Electronic transcripts are faster, cheaper, and more reliable than paper transcripts. Arrange that the other school/college send e-transcripts to our Business Operations office: email@example.com
If the school you attend offers only paper-copy transcripts as official, have it sent in a sealed official envelope to:
Add Credit: UCB SID# (insert your SID)
16 Sproul Hall, MC 0608
Berkeley, CA 94720-0608
Transcripts may also be submitted in person to Cal Student Central on the first floor of Sproul Hall. Be sure not to open the envelope! Unsealed transcripts will not be accepted.