Students who have a strong interest in an area of study outside their major often decide to complete a minor program. For a list of L&S minors, refer to the Berkeley Academic Guide or visit the appropriate academic department.
Requirements vary by minor. For more information, consult with the undergraduate major adviser (UMA) in the department offering the minor.
Guidelines for Minors Offered by L&S
- To declare a minor, contact an advisor in the department that offers the minor for information on requirements and the declaration process.
- All minors must be declared no later than one semester before a student's Expected Graduation Term (EGT). If the semester before EGT is fall or spring, the deadline is the last day of RRR week. If the semester before EGT is summer, the deadline is the final Friday of Summer Sessions.
- L&S minor programs require a minimum of five letter-graded upper-division courses, at least three of which must be completed at Berkeley.
- No more than one upper-division course may be included in both your minor and major program (review special rules for non-L&S minors below).
- Courses required for minor programs may be applied to the L&S Seven-Course Breadth requirement.
- A minimum 2.0 grade point average is required for courses included in minor programs.
- All major and minor requirements must be completed by the last day of finals of the semester you graduate. If you cannot finish all courses required for your minor by that time, visit a College Adviser. The minor will be added to your transcript only after all of the required course work has been completed, and all minor requirements are satisfied.
- Minors must be completed within the unit ceiling.
- To complete a minor, select 'Tools' from the menu on the left, then 'Forms & Petitions.' Download and complete the 'Completion of L&S Minor' form, obtain the required signature from your Major Advisor, and submit the form to your Minor Advisor.
- Completion of a minor program is posted on the transcript alongside your major. Minor programs are not noted on diplomas.
Guidelines for Minors Offered Outside L&S
- For information on minors outside L&S, visit the following groups, schools, and colleges, which offer minors for students in the College of Letters and Science.
College of Chemistry
College of Engineering
College of Environmental Design
College of Natural Resources
Energy and Resources Group
Graduate School of Education
Richard and Rhoda Goldman School of Public Policy
- Obtain a minor completion form from the school or college offering the minor, complete it, and return it to the minor adviser.
- Rules governing minor requirements in a college outside L&S fall within the jurisdiction of that college. Please consult with the minor adviser to ensure compliance with the college’s overlap rules and minor regulations.