The honors notation on the transcript is the University's way to denote the highest level of academic achievement for its best students. To maintain this standard, no exceptions can be made to any honors policy.
Distinction in General Scholarship at Graduation
Honors for overall achievement at Berkeley are noted on the transcript and diploma as Distinction, High Distinction, and Highest Distinction (roughly equivalent to cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude).
To graduate with distinction, you must meet the following criteria:
- Complete at least 50 units in the University of California (this may include UCB Extension XB or XBW units and units from UCDC or EAP).
- A minimum of 43 of those 50 units must be letter graded.
- A minimum of 30 of the 50 units must be completed in residence at Berkeley.
- Meet the GPA requirement for Distinction in General Scholarship.
Minimum cumulative UC GPAs needed to earn Distinction in General Scholarship for students graduating Fall 2019, Spring 2020, and Summer 2020:
General Distinction: 3.757
High Distinction: 3.870
Highest Distinction: 3.959
Honors in the Major
Each major program has an honors policy and program. Students may enroll in their major's honors program provided they have the required GPA in courses in the major and the approval of the major department. Students participating in the honors program in their major may enroll in fewer than 13 units. Honors in the major is noted on the transcript and diploma as Honors, High Honors or Highest Honors. Visit your undergraduate major adviser (UMA) for details.
Honors to Date
An Honors to Date notation on the transcript indicates completion of at least 12 letter-graded units and a cumulative GPA equivalent to that required for Distinction in General Scholarship.
Dean's Honors List
As of Spring 2014, the list is no longer posted on the Letters & Science Undergraduate Advising website.
The Dean's Honors List recognizes outstanding academic achievement each fall and spring semester. To earn Dean's Honors for a semester, the criteria are:
- 13 or more letter-graded units that semester
- Semester GPA in the top 10% of L&S undergraduates
- No disqualifying grades that semester (I, NR, or NP grades or courses for which no grades have been submitted).
Beginning Spring 2013, after each term "Dean's honors" is noted on the student's transcript automatically by the Registrar for students who meet the above criteria.