Incomplete Grades

A grade of Incomplete (noted "I" on the transcript) may be assigned when a student has completed and passed a majority of the work required for a course but, for reasons beyond the student's control, cannot complete the entire course. Incomplete grades are contingent upon instructor approval, and instructors are under no obligation to grant them. In cases where an instructor agrees to assign an I grade, it is important to arrive at an agreement about exactly what is required in order to finish the course and what percentage of the grade will be based on the remaining work. Review the Office of the Registrar's procedures for Incomplete grades.

Guidelines for Incomplete Grades

Incomplete grades received in the fall must be completed by the first day of instruction of the following fall semester. Those received in the spring or summer must be completed by the first day of instruction of the following spring semester. Failure to meet deadlines will result in the assignment of an F or an NP grade for the course.

Request an Extension for an Incomplete Grade

Requests for an extension of a deadline for completion of an I grade are subject to instructor approval. To make a request, print a copy of the Petition to Extend an Incomplete Grade on our Forms and Petitions page, complete the student portion, ask the instructor to complete the form, and submit it to the Office of Undergraduate Advising, 206 Evans Hall, in a sealed departmental envelope. Extension of I grades are subject to the approval of the Letters and Science dean.

Remove an Incomplete Grade

After coursework has been completed and a final grade assigned, petitions are submitted directly to the Office of the Registrar by the instructor. The College does not accept or process these petitions.  Review the Office of the Registrar's procedures and form for Incomplete grades.

Freeze an Incomplete Grade

Up to two Incomplete grades can be retained permanently on the record (this is often called "freezing an Incomplete"). (You must adhere to the same completion deadlines noted in the first paragraph under "Guidelines for Incomplete Grades".) To retain an I grade permanently, submit a Petition to Retain an Incomplete Grade Permanently on Record found on our Forms and Petitions page by the deadline for completing the course. No approval is necessary, but consider carefully before choosing this course of action; it is irreversible, and courses with a permanently retained I grade cannot be repeated.

Graduating seniors who are on the current degree list and have I grades in classes required for the degree must complete the coursework by the last day of the term in order to graduate. If the course is not needed for graduation, the I will remain on the transcript indefinitely and will never lapse to an F or NP. 

Deadlines for finishing course work for an Incomplete grade apply even to those who are not currently enrolled at Berkeley and to those participating in the Education Abroad and UCDC programs.