A representative body of managers from departments and other units in L&S.
Roster of the AAC
Arts & Humanities Representatives
- Jim Coates (Music) 643-8723
- Moriah VanVleet (Italian, Slavic, Scandinavian, and Program in Celtic Studies) 642-0072
Biological Sciences Representative
- Mark Jenkinson (Interim Biosciences Divisional Services / Integrative Biology, and Molecular and Cell Biology) 643-5909
Mathematical & Physical Sciences Representative
- Veronica Padilla (Earth & Planetary Science) 643-5040
Social Sciences Representatives
Academic Business Officers Group Representative
- Paula Flora (AMP) 643-7623
Deans' Office Representatives
- Amy Robinson (Assistant Dean) 642-3331
- Vinaya Gokarn (Deans' Office DAA) 643-1212
- Lee Borrowman (Deans' Office Budget Analyst) 642-5196
- Nick Dear (Human Resources Director) 643-2695
I. Mission Statement
Founded in October 1990, the Administrative Advisory Committee acts as a representative body of managers from departments and other units in the College of Letters and Science. The mission of the committee is as follows:
- To utilize the professional expertise and specialized knowledge of departmental managers and provide formal recognition of the importance of the manager's role in campus administration.
- To develop and maintain channels of communication among departmental managers, the L&S deans' office, and central campus administrative offices.
- To serve as an advisory board that initiates, evaluates, and guides the development of administrative policies and procedures that support departmental operating needs.
- To provide a forum for managers to discuss, share, and formulate ways to improve administrative efficiency and effectiveness, manage change, and identify and respond to problems and opportunities.
- To promote an atmosphere of collegiality and community among the managers and staff of units in Letters and Science.
The composition of the committee is as follows:
Participants from the L&S Deans' Office:
- Assistant Dean, Finance and Administration
- Representative from the Deans' Directors of Academic Administration
- Representative from the Deans' Budget Analysts
- L&S Human Resources Manager
Six departmental managers who serve as divisional group representatives.
Divisional Group (Number of Representatives)
- Biological Sciences (1)
- Arts & Humanities (2)
- Physical Sciences (1)
- Social Sciences (2)
- Undergraduate Studies (1)
One (1) L&S departmental manager who functions as a liaison with the Campus Academic Business Officers Group (ABOG).
When deemed appropriate by the committee, the standing membership may be supplemented by invited members who may serve for a specified length of time and/or provide special assistance to the committee.
III. Selection and Term of Appointment
With the exception of the assistant dean of Finance & Administration and the L&S human resources manager, all committee members will be selected by their respective groups and are expected to serve for a period of two years with staggered appointments. Groups may also wish to appoint alternates in the event that elected representatives cannot attend a scheduled AAC meeting.
A copy of this charter will be given to each new member of the committee.
After soliciting suggestions from AAC members, the assistant dean of Finance & Administration will select a chair of the committee from among L&S managers. The manager can be a current or past member of the committee. The term of the chair shall be one year.
The committee will meet once a month.
On an annual (or semi-annual) basis, the committee will sponsor a meeting of L&S department managers.
V. Responsibilities of Committee Members
- Attend all regularly scheduled committee meetings.
- Divisional group representatives will maintain a line of communication between the managers within their respective groups and the committee.
- Coordinate periodic (usually monthly) meetings of divisional group managers.
- Present concerns and recommendations on administrative issues arising from divisional group meetings.
- Provide divisional group managers with regular reports on all committee discussions and activities.
- Serve on sub-committees and work on special projects which are in support of the mission of the committee.
VI. Duties of the Chair
The chair prepares the agenda and distributes materials in advance of the meeting. The chair is responsible for facilitating the meetings, encouraging full participation of the members and visitors, and ensuring follow up on action items. The chair represents the committee, as appropriate, to the campus community.
VII. Agenda and Minutes
The agenda will be coordinated and prepared by the chair of the committee. Items for discussion will be solicited from all committee members.
Minutes will be recorded by the deans' office representative, reviewed by the chair and distributed via e-mail to all members and managers.
The guidelines set forth by this charter may be adjusted upon the consensus of the committee.