Athena Trakadas, a URAP Summer Stipend recipient, at an excavation site in Greece with her faculty mentor, Professor Stephen Miller.
The Undergraduate Division is especially dedicated to creating and overseeing programs that nurture rich intellectual relationships between faculty members and students. Our Academic Enrichment programs serve students at every stage of their undergraduate careers, from the initial years of intellectual exploration through the process of finding and pursuing an in-depth academic focus. Several of these programs are curricular and others are co-curricular; however, in each case our goal is to enhance the liberal arts education of the student participants.
- On the Same Page is a new program that will bring students and faculty members together to discuss a book by an author who has changed the way we view the world. This year's author is Stephen Hawking.
- Big Ideas Courses at UC Berkeley is an innovative breadth curriculum, in which prominent professors from divergent disciplines come together to teach undergraduate courses focused on a single vital concept or controversy
- Letters & Science 1, a new course for first-year students, provides an overview of the intellectual landscape of the College.
- The Freshman and Sophomore Seminars are small, interactive courses for lower-division students who are eager to explore a topic of interest in the company of a Berkeley faculty member. We offer approximately 100 seminars each semester, on a broad range of topics.
- Letters & Science Discovery Courses are an ideal way to satisfy the L&S breadth requirements: the outstanding teachers who participate have designed their courses with non-majors in mind.
- The Office of Undergraduate Research is the place to start both for students looking for a research apprenticeship and students looking for support to undertake research or creative projects of their own design.
- The Scholarship Connection administers the application process for several prestigious external scholarships (such as the Rhodes, Marshall, Truman and Gates) and offers a clearinghouse for information on hundreds of other external scholarships.
- The Undergraduate Division also coordinates awards: two prestigious awards for faculty members who have enriched the undergraduate experience in outstanding ways, and one College-wide award ceremony to celebrate our undergraduates' achievements.