On This Page
- Dean & Staff
- Academic Enrichment
- Undergraduate Advising
- Undergraduate & Interdisciplinary Studies
- Majors & Minors
- L&S Major Programs Administered Through Other Schools and Colleges
In This Section
L&S Undergraduate Studies, serving approximately 19,000 students at UC Berkeley, is led by interim Dean Bob Jacobsen, a professor of physics. He oversees the division's undergraduate advising, student policy, interdisciplinary major programs, and academic enrichment programs serving both the College and the campus as a whole.
Undergraduate Studies has three components:
See below for more information about the division's programs.
Interim Dean Bob Jacobsen & Staff
- Interim Dean: Bob Jacobsen
- Associate Dean: Richard Rhodes
- Assistant Deans: Anthony Bulloch Steven Botterill and Fred Wilt
- Director of Administration: Jean Delaney
- Director of Advising: Roseanne Fong
- Director of Academic Planning: Alix Schwartz
- Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research: Leah Carroll
- Dean's Assistant: Dorothy Jean "Jeannie" Adams
Undergraduate Studies is dedicated to creating and overseeing programs that nurture rich intellectual relationships between faculty members and students. Our Academic Enrichment programs serve students at every stage of their undergraduate careers, from the initial years of intellectual exploration through the process of finding and pursuing an in-depth academic focus. Several of these programs are curricular and others are co-curricular. In each case our goal is to enhance the liberal arts education of the students participating in our programs.
Undergraduate Advising provides undergraduate students in the College with the support and guidance necessary to succeed in their pursuit of a liberal arts education. The staff of professional and peer advisers all believe deeply that a broadly based education promotes a global and enlightened understanding of the world, a commitment to community, and a sense of responsibility for the welfare of society. It is our responsibility to balance the communication of that ideal with the complexity of issues and options confronting students as they pursue their academic degrees. We also enforce and adjudicate the faculty regulations in a fair and timely manner to ensure the integrity of the degree and the continuing quality of the institution.
Key Advising Links for Students
List of L&S Majors
Advising General Query Email
Undergraduate & Interdisciplinary Studies
Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies (UGIS) in the Undergraduate Division of the College of Letters and Science serves as a center for innovations in undergraduate education that extend beyond traditional departmental boundaries. Our major and minor programs attract undergraduates who wish to explore intellectually engaging and promising interdisciplinary fields under the direction of scholars who are pioneers in charting these new areas and methods of inquiry. UGIS has been, and continues to be, an incubator for new ideas, combining experimental programs and courses with a curriculum designed to promote the ideals of a liberal arts education.
Majors & Minors
*Programs administered by International and Area Studies Teaching Program.
L&S Major Programs Administered Through Other Schools and Colleges
In addition to the major programs administered through the College's five divisions, Letters & Science has agreements with several professional schools and colleges on campus for the following non-divisional undergraduate major programs:
- Chemistry (College of Chemistry)
- Computer Science (College of Engineering)
- Environmental Economics and Policy (College of Natural Resources)
- Legal Studies (School of Law)
- Operations Research & Management Science (College of Engineering)
- Public Health (School of Public Health)
- Social Welfare (School of Social Welfare)