On This Page
In This Section
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Home
- Science Diversity Office
With a full-time faculty of about 160, the Division of Mathematical and Physical Sciences seeks to expand our physical and mathematical understanding of the universe, from its microscopic substructure to its largest structures, from our own earth to the edge of the universe and the beginning of time. The language used is mathematical. Discovery and understanding advance by the interplay between theory and experiment or observation.
Undergraduate majors include applied mathematics, astrophysics, earth science, geology, geophysics, mathematics, physical science, physics, and statistics. Undergraduates are encouraged to participate in research with faculty in all disciplines.
In a recent National Research Council report, the overall ranking of Berkeley's doctoral programs in the physical sciences was number one. Research facilities include Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, the Seismological Laboratory, the Radio Astronomy Laboratory, the Space Sciences Laboratory, the Berkeley Atmospheric Sciences Center, the Center for Integrative Planetary Science, and the Theoretical Astrophysics Center.
Dean and Staff
- Dean: Mark Richards
- Director of Academic Administration: Vinaya Gokarn
- Budget Analyst: Tessie Aczon
- Senior Director, Development and College Relations: Mary Almestad
- Student Diversity Programs Director: Colette Patt
- Assistant to the Dean: Joel Moldenhauer
In addition, the College of Letters & Science offers interdisciplinary majors in chemistry (in cooperation with the College of Chemistry) and in computer science (in cooperation with the College of Engineering). The College also offers a variety of additional interdisciplinary major and minor programs through Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Studies.
Related Research & Service Units
- Astronomy Computing Facility
- Berkeley Atmospheric Sciences Center*
- Center for Integrative Planetary Science*
- Earth & Planetary Science Shops
- Graduate Group in Science & Mathematics Education
- Physics Shops
- Radio Astronomy Laboratory*
- Seismological Laboratory*
- Statistics Laboratory
- Theoretical Astrophysics Center*
*Reports to the Vice Chancellor for Research